In the early 1940’s, community leaders in a 1,600 square mile area, generally east and north of the City of Dallas, grew concerned about the dwindling ground water supplies. These community leaders petitioned the federal government to authorize the construction of Lavon Lake, and in 1945 when that authorization passed the U.S. Congress, these same leaders persuaded the Texas Legislature to include water conservation as an additional purpose to this flood control reservoir, Lavon Lake. Construction of Lavon Lake began in 1948.
In 1951, the local leaders from ten communities formed the Tri-County Reservoir Association. The Tri-County Reservoir Association requested that the Legislature authorize the formation of the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) and to provide this organization with the authority to develop, finance, construct, and operate facilities to meet their future water needs. The 52nd Texas legislature responded by creating North Texas Municipal Water District through Article XVI, Section 59 of the Texas Constitution. These ten communities, which became the NTMWD’s Member Cities, are the Cities of Farmersville, Forney, Garland, McKinney, Mesquite, Plano, Princeton, Rockwall, Royse City, and Wylie. The City of Richardson joined as a Member City in 1973, the City of Allen in 1998, and the City of Frisco in 2001. Each of these communities has representation on the NTMWD Board of Directors.
The dedication of these communities in establishing the NTMWD and in obtaining approval for Lavon Lake set the cooperative tone, which has guided the relationship between the NTMWD, the individual members of its Board of Directors, and the communities it was established to serve.
The NTMWD is authorized to acquire, treat, and distribute potable water, and to collect, treat and dispose of wastes, both liquid and solid, in order to reduce pollution, conserve and develop the natural resources of Texas.
A Board of Directors appointed by the elected city councils of the Member Cities governs the NTMWD. The Board members are appointed for two-year terms on a staggered basis. If a community has a population above 5,000, two representatives are appointed to serve on the Board of Directors. If a community has a population below 5,000, only one representative is appointed to serve on the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors appoints an Executive Director who oversees the day-to-day operations and is responsible to the Board for operating the NTMWD in accordance with all laws and Board policies. NTMWD's Board of Directors' meetings usually are held every 4th Thursday of each month.
In order to respond to the requests of the Member and Customer Cities through the authorization provided by the Texas Legislature, the NTMWD has organized three systems, which provide the basic services that are required for residential, commercial, and industrial growth in the communities served. These systems include the Regional Water System, the Regional Wastewater System, and the Regional Solid Waste System.
The NTMWD Regional Water System, created in 1954, provides treated drinking water supplies to over 1.6 million people in the 55 cities, towns, special utility districts, and water supply corporations served by the NTMWD through voluntary contracts. The NTMWD receives raw water from Lavon Lake for treatment at the Wylie Water Treatment Plants. In addition to Lavon Lake, NTMWD holds water rights in: Lake Texoma, Jim Chapman Lake (Cooper Lake), Lake Tawakoni (through a contract with the Sabine River Authority), and the East Fork Raw Water Supply Project (Wetland) which augment supplies. Additional sources of raw water supplies are being developed to supply the rapidly increasing needs of the NTMWD Member and Customer Cities.
NTMWD provides water treatment and delivery at the water treatment plants owned and operated by the NTMWD. In addition, the NTMWD owns and operates the transmission pipelines, pumps, and storage reservoirs necessary to deliver the treated water to Members and Customers in sufficient volumes to meet the daily demands of the citizens served.
The NTMWD Regional Wastewater System, created in 1972, provides municipal wastewater treatment services on a regional scale. This responsibility is carried out at four regional wastewater treatment plants (WWTP): the South Mesquite Creek Regional WWTP in Mesquite, the Floyd Branch Regional WWTP in Richardson, the Rowlett Creek Regional WWTP in Plano, and the Wilson Creek Regional WWTP near McKinney. These regional treatment plants serve approximately 967,400 citizens in a rapidly growing area of north central Texas.
In addition to the regional wastewater treatment plants, the NTMWD has assumed ownership, and/or operation and maintenance for 15 smaller plants at the request of the cities served.
The NTMWD Regional Solid Waste System, created in 1980 at the request of Member Cities Plano and Richardson includes three transfer stations and the 121 Regional Disposal Facility. NTMWD’s Solid Waste System provides a safe and reliable means to dispose of household municipal waste for over 734,500 citizens while protecting the environment and water quality.
At each transfer station, the NTMWD provides a Citizen Convenience Center for citizens of Member Cities to dispose of household wastes safely, conveniently, and at no charge two times per month. Also located at these facilities is a collection site for used Motor Oil and Filters.