Member City and Customer CenterAbout NTMWDEmployment OpportunitiesWater QualityConstruction & Bid NoticesHome
Water System
Wastewater System
Solid Waste System
About Our Solid Waste System


 

 

Businesses, industries, and residents in all communities generate municipal solid waste. The most environmentally sound management of municipal solid waste disposal is achieved by source reduction through recycling, composting, followed by disposal in municipal solid waste landfills. Municipal solid waste landfills are engineered facilities that are located, designed, operated, and monitored to ensure compliance with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality regulation.

 

NTMWD provides Solid Waste disposal services for five Solid Waste Member Cities and the residents of Collin County. The NTMWD Solid Waste Member Cities are the Cities of Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, and Richardson. NTMWD owns and operates the 121 Regional Disposal Facility (121 RDF). The 121 RDF is anticipated to meet the solid waste needs of the area served for at least 34 years. The life of the 121 RDF can be extended with increased recycling efforts and waste reduction practices. The 121 RDF is a component of the North Central Texas Council of Governments Solid Waste Master Plan. In addition to the 121 RDF, NTMWD operates three Transfer Stations (TS), including the Custer Road TS, Lookout Drive TS, and Parkway TS that all serve as collection sites for the commercial and household municipal waste collected within the Solid Waste Member Cities. At each of the transfer stations, the municipal waste is loaded into transfer trucks for transport by NTMWD vehicles to the 121 RDF for safe and proper disposal.

 

NTMWD provides Citizen Convenience Centers that are designed so residents residing in the Solid Waste Member Cities (Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, and Richardson) can transport and dispose of undesirable household waste with passenger vehicles. No commercial waste is accepted at the Citizen Convenience Centers. The Citizen Convenience Centers are located at each of the three transfer stations and at the 121 RDF. To further protect the environment, NTMWD also provides a collection site for used motor oil and used oil filters at the Citizen Convenience Centers.

 

During the 2013-2014 Operations Year (October 2013-September 2014), NTMWD safely disposed of over 835,000 tons of commercial and municipal waste. The NTMWD Solid Waste Member Cities accounted for 71% of the tonnage disposed; outside customers, including private haulers, contributed the remaining 29%.

 

To promote waste minimization and to prevent illegal disposal of solid waste materials, Collin County has contracted with the NTMWD to conduct once-a-month clean-up days for Collin County residents. On designated clean-up days, Collin County residents can dispose of their municipal waste at the 121 RDF at no charge. In addition to offering the opportunity for disposal of eligible waste, the clean-up days offer recycling services for plastics, paper, aluminum, glass, and tires.

 

Construction contracts in the Solid Waste System totaled over $1.4 million. The Solid Waste construction projects included: the Custer Road Transfer Station tipping floor improvements; and the construction of the 121 RDF fleet maintenance weld shop and scale house modifications.

 

 
 

 

Solid Waste System Members

Allen
Frisco

McKinney
Plano

Richardson




View the Acceptable Waste Handout Download PDF

View the Solid Waste Disposal Process Download PDF