As part of a series of reports highlighting the one-year anniversary of the unprecedented 2021 Winter Storm Uri, NBCDFW reached out to NTMWD to share steps we’ve taken to ensure critical services continue during extreme weather. They also spoke with City of Denton.
Zeke Campbell, Assistant Deputy for Water Treatment and Conveyance, and Wayne Larson, Director of Communications, took NBCDFW reporter Brittany Johnson and cameraman on a tour of the Wylie Water Treatment Plant. In addition to answering specific questions, they shared a sampling of the following initiatives:
- Back-up communication plans if cell-towers fail
- New diesel tanks and large generators
- $50M capital improvements identified prior to 2021, additional $22M identified after Winter Storm Uri
- More distribution centers within NTMWD facilities for salt, sand and snowmelt
- Cots, coveralls and accommodations for employees working extra shifts
North Texas Water Systems Plan Upgrades to Provide Water During Future Power Outages