The North Texas Municipal Water District provides essential water, wastewater and solid waste disposal services to more than 1.6 million residents across 10 counties in the North Texas region.
NTMWD has been providing wholesale water services to communities in the region since 1956. As these communities have grown in population, the regional water system has grown in scope and complexity to reliably meet their needs.
- Provide wholesale, treated water to 90 cities, towns, communities, special utility and water districts
- 370 million gallons per day (MGD) average raw water supply
- 6 water treatment plants – 806+ MGD capacity
- 573 miles of transmission pipelines
- 9 raw water pump stations
- 8 treated water pump stations
- 77 city delivery points
In 1972, in response to requests from the cities and communities we serve, NTMWD expanded its services to include wastewater collection and treatment. Consolidating smaller, municipal wastewater plants into a regional system reduced costs for participating cities and streamlined operations.
Today, the effective treatment and purification of wastewater is a key way we are helping to meet the future water needs of the region.
- Operate 14 wastewater treatment plants (11 owned by NTMWD, including 4 regional plants)
- 151+ million gallons per day (MGD) treatment capacity
- 8 interceptor systems with 250+ miles of large-diameter pipelines and 23 lift stations
In 1979, again due to customer requests, NTMWD expanded its services to include solid waste disposal. Participating cities collect and deliver municipal solid waste to one of our three transfer stations or landfill located in Collin County. From the transfer stations, staff transport the waste to the regional landfill located in Melissa. Residents of participating cities also may drop off municipal solid waste at one of the transfer stations or landfill by showing proof of residency, with their city issued utility bill.
- 3 transfer stations
- 3,295 combined permitted tons processed daily
- 800,000+ tons/year accepted at landfill